Written by Jane Emery
On May 22, the unfathomable happened in Joplin, Missouri. A monster tornado that has been proclaimed as the deadliest in American history, devasated Joplin, claimed precious lives and created untold pain and loss upon families and the community. But, while images of the devastation are burned into our consciousness, people such as Los Angeles-based, Joplin-native Tyler Childs, are doing their part to help. With the enlisted help of his friends in the music and entertainment business (Childs is a music manager) he has secured some exciting Hollyw00d prizes and big ticket items for a charity auction, with proceeds going to the United Way of Southwest Missouri and Southeast Kansas.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkydfPRvEgk[/youtube]
Top Hollywood luminaries such as Coldplay, The Office, Chelsea Handler, Yoko Ono, Maroon 5, Wilco, Bon Iver, Robyn, Dave Matthews Band, Fox NFL Sunday, Friday Night Lights and more are donating one-of-a-kind items and experiences through the Joplin Tornado Relief eBay Charity Auction here:
This is your opportunity to help this devasated community, America’s community. This is a true Hollywood experience! Bid on exciting opportunities such as all-expenses-paid trip to Lollapalooza donated by Coldplay and a meet and greet with the band. Love The Office? You’re there: A visit to the set of NBC’s hit show The Office. Fantasy sports nut? How about 2 VIP tickets to the set of Fox NFL Sunday for an afternoon of football with Terry Bradshaw, Michael Strahan, Jimmy Johnson, Howie Long and the gang!?
The list goes on… this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and a chance to help the victims of Joplin rebuild their future.
Proceeds benefit the United Way of Southwest Missouri and Southeast Kansas and auction items include donations from Coldplay, Maroon 5, Eminem, Chelsea Handler, The Office, Dave Matthews Band, Tim McGraw, and many, many more.
The first round of the auction is live now and will run through Monday, June 20th.
Look at the notable items on the digital auction block!
- An all-expenses-paid trip to Lollapalooza donated by Coldplay and a meet and greet with the band
- Meet and greet with Maroon 5 and four tickets to any show (except NY or LA) on their US tour
- A visit to the set of NBC’s hit show The Office
- 2 VIP tickets to the set of Fox NFL Sunday for an afternoon of football with Terry Bradshaw, Michael Strahan, Jimmy Johnson, Howie Long and the gang
- Friday Night Lights package including the Dillon Panthers letter jacket worn on the show by Matt Saracen (Zach Gilford)
- 2 Tickets to the season finale taping of NBC’s The Voice
- 64GB iPad 2 with 3G personally donated by Yoko Ono with a signed postcard
- 2 VIP tickets to any taping of Chelsea Lately and two guest gift bags
- Signed limited edition Wilco poster
- 3 day pass to Dave Matthews Band Caravan in Atlantic City
- 2 tickets to any Major Lazer show in North America, meet and greet and a one-a-kind drawing of you and the Major Lazer cast of characters (in round two)
- Signed DJ Hero turntable by Eminem
- And even more one-of-a-kind items and experiences from Tim McGraw, Bon Iver, Lonely Island, MLB, the Los Angeles Lakers, OneRepublic, EA Games, the NFL, Jack Johnson, Robyn, and many many more!
The auction is powered by premiere auction management company Giving Engine.
Childs continues, “Like so many people, I was stunned by the footage I saw”. “It broke my heart to see the familiar places of my childhood left in ruins, but I knew just sitting around being sad wasn’t going to help anyone. I’m incredibly thankful to have a support system in Los Angeles that can help me give back to a place that gave so much to me. Friends and colleagues like Kevin Weaver, Caitlin Youngs, Sarah Smith and Malia Hall played a major role in helping to secure incredible experiences and items for everyone to bid on.
Now go bid on something!”
For more information on the United Way of Southwest Missouri and Southeast Kansas, please visit their website at .
The United Way of Southwest Missouri will be the region’s recognized leader in human care fund raising and in identifying and seeking solutions to meet the human service needs of the area. We will be the most effective distributor of resources and a customer (contributor, agency, recipient and volunteer) driven United Way.